Mine are pretty telling about what I'm currently preoccupied with...
The first one was about a week and a half ago... I showed up to the race start only to find that you had to crawl through a mile long plastic tube (like the kind at a McDonalds playground) to get to the race start. There was about 6 inches of water running through the tube as well. When I arrived at the race start, I found that I had forgotten all of my nutrition and the only way to get it was to crawl back through the tube and then back again with the nutrition!
The next one I had I was riding the bike and every time I picked up a bottle on the aid station I inexplicably dropped the water. I continued to ride getting more and more dehydrated and I imagined that I had that little "salt ring" around my mouth a la Lance Armstrong's famous TT hydration issue.
Frequently I show up without nutrition... once I showed up without anything to wear... I was in my pajamas...
The most recent was that instead of swimming in the river, we had to swim in ponds and run x-country between each pond. Halfway through the swim I glanced down at my watch and saw that it was 1:40 into the race! I thought to myself... "well, no pressure now".
So clearly, I have some anxiety about being prepared for the race.
I'm feeling pretty confident about knowing the bike course thanks to IM Lou Training Camp.
The swim I'm still worried about, but I figure there will be plenty of people to follow out there in the river.
The run seems pretty mellow in terms of the course (everyone says pancake flat), it's just the heat that gets ya - no shade.
I picked up my WTC Legal swim skin at all3sports last week. Check out my sweet new gear:
TYR Elite Torque Swimskin
Under the Torque for the swim and for the entire course I'll be wearing super comfy my Trakkers Tri kit from Canari. I've been wearing it for my long rides and runs and have determined where I need to add extra trislide to avoid chaffing :D It may seem silly, but I found a sport bra that I like and still works when it's soaking wet after the swim.
Bike and Wheels are working great. I'll be riding my Kestrel 4000 that I love love love with most likely Zipp Firecrest 808's. (They are new, not in photo below...)
I have my lucky all3sports visor with my own special motivating phrase written in Sharpie on the brim.
I also have my Nathan Sprint handheld, which normally I keep my First Endurance Liquid Shot in, but I'm thinking I may just fill with ICE at Louisville (Which mean I need to find another way to carry my LS, probably I'll just put it in my SPI belt with my saltstick)
I do still have some gear issues to sort out...
- I need new goggles
- I still don't have a great way to store all the "tire change" gear on my bike. My last couple of races, I've just been stowing a can of Espresso in my back pocket and hoping for the best.
- Hydration system - right now I use the standard AeroDrink bottle on the front. and I have three bottle cages, one on frame and two on back. The concern is grabbing watter bottles at aid stations and having them launch out of the rear cages because they are the disposable water bottles... Thinking about a speedfil system, but I'm not sure how easy that is to fill while you are riding (anyone have any comments on that?) and the other idea is the Profile Design Aqua Cell. I'm thinking since it is bigger, I'll be able to get more water safely stowed away quicker after the aid stations. That's a big decision for me right now as I feel hydration is going to be KEY in Louisville because of the heat.
- I'm also toying with the idea of arm coolers or shrug. I've hear lots of mixed reviews on them. I had a chance to try some and they seemed uncomfortable to me... but maybe a different brand would work better. Anyone have any advice in that area??
- Need to buy a new pair of CEP Compression socks, just because mine are wearing out... trying to decide between White and Trakkers Green :D A lot of folks have asked me why socks and not calf sleeves - I like the compression on my feet too AND I haven't had any blister issues with the CEP socks (knock on wood).
- I know I'll use my Garmin 310xt as my watch, but I still have to determine what fields I want to show while I'm in multisport mode. I'll have my powermeter (Quarq Cinqo) readings dislayed, but I haven't decided beyond that. What do you guys show during your race?
- all the other stuff I haven't thought about yet :D
I'm still working on this... Ive been doing a lot of experimentation the last couple of weeks. I started at 100 cals an hour and have been slowly adding things to the buffet and am now up to about 120 cals an hour. I've also changed the order that I eat in... putting more of the liquid cals at the front of the ride when the weather is cooler. I've added Larabar as a solid and Gu Chomps (Peach Tea they have 2x caffine and a lite flavor) as a mid range. Of course I still have First Endurance Liquid Shot and EFS Sports Drink.
The most important change I think has been to increase frequency of calorie intake (a little bit every 15 min) and also add more SaltStick (one every 30 min) and most importantly WAY MORE WATER. From one bottle an hour to 1.5 bottles (and I'm shooting for closer to two). In the beginning of the ride these extra non calorie liquids are NUUN. Towards the end of the ride it's just straight water (more to cleanse the palate than any other reason) so I add in some extra saltstick to make up for no longer having NUUN.
I don't have it nailed down yet, but I'm working on it. A big test will be the century ride and 6 mile run I have coming up this weekend.
So the planning and list making has started and hopefully that will help with the anxiety!
I'd love to hear anyone's comments on plans so far or advice on some of the gear decisions to be made!